Pass Plus Scheme
Pass Plus Scheme – Pass Drive
The Pass Plus scheme is an optional driving course which can be taken after passing your test. It has been designed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to introduce you to elements you may not have experienced during your driving course and build on your existing skills and knowledge.
Statistics show that new drivers are more likely to have an accident in the first two years after passing their test, due to lack of driving experience. The Pass Plus Scheme helps to reduce this risk by introducing more challenging roads and conditions in order to raise standards.
The Pass Plus scheme consists of six modules but there is no test. You will have to achieve a set standard for each module in order for your driving instructor to sign, date and forward the training report to the DVSA, who will then issue you with a certificate.
Pass Plus Modules
- Town Driving.
- This is the most common type of driving that the majority of motorists will experience. Town driving requires strong observational skills and awareness levels both of which will be further developed in this course. This will involve navigating challenging junctions, and a combination of tram, bus and cycle lanes.
- All-Weather Driving
- This stage of the course is often theoretical as it relies on extreme weather conditions. Here you will explore how to drive effectively in challenging weather, including heavy rain, snow, ice, fog and bright sunlight. You will learn how to handle skidding and know how bad weather can affect stopping distance.
- Country Roads
- Country roads can be dangerous if not driven on properly. The hazards you may encounter include hidden dips, blind bends, animals crossing the road and overtaking slow vehicles. In this section, you will learn how to drive safely and responsibly on country roads, allowing you to successfully handle any hazards you may face.
- Night Driving
- Depending on the time of year you passed your test, you may not have encountered much night driving. In this stage of the course, we will work together to boost your confidence and practice using headlamps, and judging speed and distances.
- Dual Carriageways
- In most cases, you will have encountered and driven on dual carriageways before your test. However, this can be challenging for some drivers. In this section, you will gain experience in leaving the carriageway using slip roads, overtaking and changing lanes.
- Motorway Driving
- In recent years, learners have been allowed to experience motorways with qualified driving instructors, but much like with dual carriageways, they can be intimidating for some drivers. During this section of the course, you will practice how to drive at a safe speed, deal with motorway fatigue, and handle a breakdown.
Pass Plus will help make you a better driver, but it can also save you money. Many insurers offer discounts to certificate holders. It is possible that the cost of your course will be offset by the discount you receive.
You can speak to your driving instructor about the Pass Plus Scheme or contact our office.
Additional Driver Development Courses
Driving on a motorway can cause anxiety for many drivers on the road, due to the speed, congestion and unfamiliar roads. We understand that this can be a challenge and have created a course which specifically aims to help you become a safer and more confident driver on motorways. Together we will develop your skills to build your confidence and provide you with course feedback to further improve your motorway driving.
Driver Confidence Training
Our Driver Confidence Training Course aims to help you improve your driving experience. Whether there are aspects of driving that you’re less confident about or are anxious following an incident, we are here to help you. Together we will build upon your current driving skills and build your confidence, helping to develop a safer driving strategy that works for you.
Advanced Driving Course
Our Advanced Driving Course aims to help increase your road knowledge, awareness, confidence and safety. This course will develop your driving skills to a higher level, allowing you to become a safer and more responsible driver.
To make an enquiry for more information or to speak to someone from the Pass Drive team, please feel free to call us on 0800 371055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.